How to Blur Background on Zoom [Computer and Mobile]
Published March 14, 2023
Inside this article
Zoom calls got you worried about your messy room, work desk, or any personal details in the background? Fret not! With a few clicks of your mouse (or swipes on mobile), you can get rid of all these distractions and present yourself professionally. You may want to consider setting a background in Zoom like a brick wall background or solid color background but if that seems like too much of an effort, the blur background option is the way to go.
So don't waste another minute; just follow this article's guide on how to enable the background blur option on your device to get started!
- There are two ways you can blur your Zoom background on computer and mobile: before and during a virtual meeting.
- Using a green screen is not necessary when blurring your background but having a solid-colored background and good lighting will help your appearance.
How to Blur Background on Zoom Desktop Client
No matter if you're using a Windows, MacOS, or Linux computer – giving your background an extra bit of privacy doesn't have to be difficult. Using the blur background feature on any desktop device can be done with ease and in two simple ways: before and after a Zoom meeting. Let's get started!
Before a Zoom Meeting
Drown out any distractions before your next virtual call by learning how to blur background on Zoom on computer, here's how to do it:
- Launch Zoom and log into your account.
- Click on your profile picture and select Settings.
- Choose Backgrounds & Filters.
- Select the Blur option.
Tip: If you want to test if your blurred background is working, you can start a New Meeting to see what it looks like.
During a Call
If you forgot to blur your background before a meeting and your surroundings are messy, don’t sweat it! Here’s how you can quickly blur your background on the Zoom desktop client:
- Click the upward arrow icon at the bottom-left corner of the video window next to the Start Video/Stop Video button.
- Select Blur My Background.
- Once you blur your zoom background, the blur setting will be kept for future meetings.
- To disable the blurred Zoom background setting. You can click your profile picture > Go to Settings > Select Background & Effects > Select None.
How to Blur Background on the Zoom Mobile App
Zoom's mobile app has a range of features, but one thing to keep in mind is that you can only adjust background Zoom settings during an active meeting - meaning no blurred backgrounds pre-meeting for now.
Here’s how to blur the background on your smartphone during Zoom calls:
- Open the Zoom app and log into your account.
- Join a meeting, and press the three-dot/More icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Select Background & Effects (For iOS) or Virtual Background (For Android).
- Choose the Blur option.
Do You Need a Green Screen to Blur Your Zoom Background?
Though using a green screen can help make your image look higher in quality, it isn’t necessary to blur your background. If you want to improve your settings without a green screen, there are a few things you can do:
- Choose a plain wall or background with a solid color.
- Wear different colored clothes that contrast the backdrop.
- Make sure to have consistent and proper lighting that distinguishes your features from the background.
Troubleshooting Common Blurred Background Issues on Zoom
Sometimes, despite your best efforts, your blurred background might not show up on Zoom. Here's what you can do to get your visuals back in focus before you select blur: try troubleshooting by following the easy tricks below.
- Before changing anything, make sure that your device meets the necessary system requirements and that the Zoom client is up-to-date. If your device doesn't meet the minimum requirements, the blur effect may not work properly.
- Keep your Zoom app up to date and running smoothly with the latest version! Upgrading provides better compatibility so you can enjoy uninterrupted video conferences.
- If the blur background feature isn't appearing, try a quick refresher: log out and then back into your account to update your settings.
- Consider if your internet connection is up to speed. Poor internet connectivity can lead to a distorted blur effect experience.
- If you're waiting for the blur feature to appear, but it's sluggish in loading - don't wait around! Give your application a quick restart and get back on track with ease.
By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve any issues you may have with your blurred background on Zoom. Remember, a professional appearance during virtual meetings can go a long way in creating a positive impression on your colleagues and clients, so it's worth taking the time to ensure everything is working properly.
Tips for Using the Background Blur Feature on Zoom
For those looking to make a great impression on their next Zoom call, here are some essential tips for achieving the perfect background blur with Zoom:
- Finding the perfect angle. Make sure that you've positioned your camera lens at a good angle before your meeting! This will help avoid any distracting elements in the background and keep your face front and center.
- Adjusting lighting. For work meetings conducted over video, proper lighting is the key to a polished and professional look. Steer clear of overhead lighting that can cast deep shadows. Opt for softer, diffused light as it will gracefully illuminate your face from all angles.
- Avoiding movement. Moving too much during your video call can be distracting for everyone in the meeting. This can also interfere with the quality of the blurring effects you've set up in advance! Show courtesy by minimizing unnecessary movements while video chatting.
- Choosing an appropriate background. Using a blur effect is one way to minimize distractions, but a good background also helps you stand out. For an effective look that won't detract focus from your presentation, opt for neutral tones like pastels or whites!
- Using virtual backgrounds. If by chance you don't like the blur option, you can opt for virtual backgrounds instead! Zoom offers a variety of virtual backgrounds to choose from, or you can even upload your own.
With these tips and tricks, you can create a more polished and professional appearance during your Zoom meetings.
Blurring Your Background Helps Avoid Distractions During A Zoom Meeting
By making use of the background blur feature on Zoom, you're sure to present yourself in a professional and appropriate manner during your next virtual meeting. It only takes a few minutes of extra effort to ensure that distractions won't be an issue when presenting or attending online meetings! To really wow colleagues and clients, remember all the tips from this article. Be ready for any Zoom call situation with pristine presentation techniques fit for every occasion!